As a Tennessee worker, you know you have the right to seek workers’ compensation benefits in the event you suffer an injury at work. These benefits include recompense of medical expenses and a portion of wages you lost while recovering. Before an accident takes place, however, you also have the right to a reasonably safe workplace and the training necessary to do your job safely.
Employers have the responsibility of reducing hazards wherever possible and giving workers all of the tools they need to be safe and productive. Workplace safety should be a top priority, whether you work in an office or on a construction site. Jobsite safety is a particularly pressing concern in jobs that are inherently risky.
Tips for safer workplaces
It may be helpful for you to understand the hazards that may present themselves at your place of work, as well as what to do in the event of a jobsite accident. When it comes to making all workplaces safer and more productive, employers and workers may consider the following tips:
- Make everyone on site aware of hazards and what can happen if people do not follow appropriate procedures.
- Implement various types of innovation and technology to better train workers and make things safer in general.
- Encourage everyone to be healthy and physically fit, and train people to deal with their stress levels in productive ways.
- Make sure to clearly communicate rules, safety procedures and other important information to workers.
- Eliminate distractions by prohibiting phone use and other things while workers are on the job.
- Train workers to handle dangerous substances or toxic materials safety and effectively.
This is not a conclusive list of ways to boost worksite safety, but it does offer employers a good place to start if they need to make safety a priority. Safer workplaces mean fewer accidents, and fewer accidents mean fewer workers’ compensation claims — increased safety is beneficial for everyone in the company.
Protecting your rights
If injured in a jobsite accident, it can be beneficial to learn more about the ways you can protect your interests and how to file a workers’ compensation claim. Some people find it helpful to seek legal guidance as soon as possible after an injury so they can have assistance with every step of the claims process, from completing the application for benefits to any appeals that may be necessary.